I often use this marinade made with barbecue sauce and mango nectar on boneless chicken thigh fillets or chicken pieces such as legs and wings but today, I decided to serve up my chicken the Pinoy way: on a stick. Amazingly good, these sweet mango barbecue chicken skewers are worth firing up the grill for in October.
Sweet Mango Barbecue Chicken Skewers
- 1 pound boneless chicken thigh fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mango nectar
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Trim chicken thigh fillets of extra fat and cut into 1-inch thick strips. Wash and drain well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine mango nectar, barbecue sauce and red pepper flakes. Add chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain from marinade, reserving liquid.
- In a sauce pan, simmer mango nectar-barbecue marinade for about 20 minutes or until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Add sesame oil and stir to combine.
- Thread 2 to 3 chicken slices into each skewer. Grill skewers over hot coals for about 2 to 3 minutes each side. When meat starts to lose its pink, baste with sweet mango mixture. Continue to grill and baste, turning on sides, until cooked through. Remove from heat and serve hot.