Asian Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad with a tangy vinaigrette dressing is a fresh, healthy, and tasty side dish you’ll love year round. Chock-full of delicious flavor and texture, it’s a guaranteed crowd favorite!
Now that we’re in the midst of Summer, the last thing I want is to stand over a burning stove preparing a complicated dish. Although my main squeeze is a little unhappy about it, I’ve switched from our usual hearty hot meals to easy-to-prep items such as cold sandwiches and salads for most of our dinners at home.
This Asian cucumber tomato avocado salad is technically a side dish, but G and I polished off a big bowlful as lunch today. Chock-full of crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocados, red onions, and tangy rice vinegar dressing, it was filling as it was delicious!
Tips on How to Make Asian Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- I used regular garden cucumbers which have a tough dark green skin. As these cucumbers are usually waxed to retain moisture when sold in grocery stores, you might want to peel them completely or rinse thoroughly if you’re going to leave strips of the peel as I did. You can also substitute English (hothouse) cucumbers if you prefer seedless and thinner skin.
- I find the peppery red onions as a delicious addition to the flavor profile of this salad but feel free to swap with Maui onions for a sweeter taste.
- Make sure to seed the tomatoes so the excess juice doesn’t water down the salad.
- Unfortunately, this cucumber and tomato salad is not something I recommend making hours in advance as the cucumbers will lose their crunch, and the avocados will darken over time. Cucumbers have a high water content and tend to dispel a lot of liquid once mixed with the dressing. For best quality, chill in the refrigerator for about 10 to 15 minutes and then serve immediately.
The vinaigrette dressing in this recipe is a simple mixture of rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and salt which rounds up the flavors beautifully. I’ve also used on occasion lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper with equally delicious results.
If you want a little heat, try chili oil in place of the sesame or olive oil. Totally yummy!
Give this Asian cucumber tomato and avocado recipe a try. It’s cool and creamy side dish you’ll love all year round! It’s amazing enjoyed on its own as well as paired with your favorite grilled meat or seafood.
Asian Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and cubed
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, tomatoes, avocados, and red onions.
- In a small bowl, combine rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and salt. Whisk together until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Add dressing to cucumber salad and gently toss to distribute. Refrigerate for about 10 to 15 minutes and serve immediately.