Chicken curry stewed in coconut milk and curry spices is a hearty and tasty dish the whole family will love. Easy to make and cooks in one pan!
Chicken curry is my all-time favorite comfort food, which says a lot considering I have a long list of favorite comfort foods. Every time it’s is on the menu, I can’t help but eat my weight in rice. And that, my friends, means A LOT.
This chicken stew is not only a regular on our meal rotation at home but it’s also one of the dishes I often make for the holidays and special occasions. With juicy chicken pieces, tender potatoes and carrots, and colorful bell peppers in a glorious curry-infused coconut sauce, it’s hearty, tasty, and sure to be a crowd favorite.
Filipino-style coconut chicken curry is easy to make yet packs big flavors. It requires only a handful of ingredients, cooks in one pan, and is done in less than an hour!
How to Make Coconut Chicken Curry
- Pan-fry the potatoes and carrots until lightly browned to keep from falling apart when added to the stew.
- I also like to briefly saute the bell peppers as it draws out their natural sweetness.
- This recipe calls for bone-in chicken parts for a more robust flavor but it would work on cubed boneless chicken breast or thigh meat as well.
- For a smooth and creamy sauce, do not bring to a rapid boil and cook in a gentle simmer lest the coconut milk curdles and separates.
- Once the curry powder is added in, give the sauce a few minutes to slow cook to allow the spices to release their flavors.
- Prefer a thicker consistency? Simmer uncovered so the excess liquid will evaporate quickly and the sauce to reduce without overcooking the meat and vegetables.
In the mood for more curry? Check out the list below!
Coconut Curry Recipes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (3 pounds) bone-in chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a wide pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add carrots and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Remove excess oil from pan except for about 1 tablespoon. Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 to 40 seconds. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
- Add fish sauce and continue to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a simmer.. skimming any scum that may float on top.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add curry powder and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bell peppers and cook for about 1 minute or until tender yet crisp. Serve hot.