Stewed in coconut milk and spices, this chicken curry is absolutely rich and sinful. I cooked it for lunch today and it was so good, I ate my weight in rice. That, my friends, means A LOT.
This is a very simple recipe, my friends. Just make sure that the coconut milk does not boil over as it will curdle. Slow and steady simmer is the key to a smooth and creamy sauce. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (3 to 4 pounds) whole chicken, cut into serving parts
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- salt to taste
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add carrots and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Remove excess oil from pot, leaving about 1 tablespoon. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp and aromatic. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7 to 8 minutes or until chicken changes color and juices run clear. Add fish sauce and continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat, cover and continue to cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Add potatoes and carrots and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring to combine, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Season with salt to taste. Add bell peppers and cook for about 1 minute or until tender yet crisp. Serve hot.