Chicken Salad Sandwich Spread is creamy, crunchy, and sure to be a family favorite. Chockful of shredded chicken, chopped eggs, and crushed pineapple, it’s delicious as a snack, appetizer or light meal.
We, Filipinos, love our rice and noodles like the next Asian, but bread is also an integral part of our food culture. Pandesal with coco jam? Breakfast bliss. Cheese pineapple on tasty bread? Popular party fare. Monay with peanut butter? Classic afternoon merienda.
Growing up, my favorite school baon was chicken salad sandwich spread generously slathered between slices of white bread (plus yummy cheese cupcake for dessert!). I guess the habit followed me over the years as to this day; I always keep a small container of it in the fridge for my midday breaks.
I just love the interplay of flavors and textures! Chockful of shredded chicken, chopped eggs, crisp celery, crushed pineapple, sweet relish, and creamy mayo, this sandwich spread is sure to be a favorite in your house, too!
Tips on How to make Chicken Salad
- I like to poach the chicken as this gentle cooking technique helps keep the meat moist and tender, but you can also use baked or rotisserie chicken you have on hand.
- This recipe is really more of a baseline; feel free to add more or less of the ingredients to fit personal tastes. Don’t like eggs? Omit it. Prefer chopped onions over celery? Swap it!
- One ingredient that’s optional but I highly recommend is condensed milk. Like in my macaroni salad, it makes the chicken spread extra creamy and balances out the savory flavors with a touch of sweetness.
- For food safety, allow the chicken and the eggs to cool completely before mixing the rest of the ingredients.
What to Serve with Chicken Salad Sandwich Spread
This chicken salad is great as filling for sandwiches or pita bread, but it’s also delicious as a spread on crackers or as a dip for crudites. If you’re looking for a low-carb option, you can serve it on top of salad greens or wrapped in green lettuce leaves.
For fun snack or party food, spread the chicken salad on flour tortillas, roll up into a tight log, chill, and cut into bite-size pieces.
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last
The chicken salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Discard if left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
For best taste and texture, I don’t recommend freezing the salad as the mayo tends to separate and break when frozen and thawed.
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 hard boiled egg, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon condensed milk (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, eggs, crushed pineapple, sweet relish, onions, celery, mayonnaise, and condensed milk (if using). Stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.