I hit the jackpot! I mean, the cheese puto jackpot, not the Mega Million Lotto which, by the way, is up to $324 million this coming Tuesday drawing. Three hundred twenty four million dollars. EEEEEEEEEE!!! Can you imagine what you could do with all that money? Whose world could you change? I’m sure I’ll find 324,000,000 ways to spend 324,000,000 dollars. That balikbayan slash Amazon Christmas box giveaway going on right now? Forget picking a lucky winner. Heck, everyone who leaves a comment wins a box. While at it, why not give each and every one of Kawaling Pinoy email subscribers as well? Sigh, a beautiful dream yet just a dream. But hey, all it takes are $20 worth of Lotto tickets and a prayer. Somebody’s gotta win, might as well be me.
Ok, enough of me loitering at the BMW website (just in case) and back to these cheese puto. Sure, they are not exactly in the category of $324 million but these mini rice muffins are definitely a piece of fluffy, cheesy heaven. I’ve always made puto with rice flour but when I saw this recipe at My Expat Mom blog, I couldn’ t wait to try it. She said these puto are one of her blog’s bestsellers and one bite I knew why. They are super duper awesome.
Since you have the steamer going, you might want to try these recipes as well:
- Cassava Suman-delicious delicacy made with grated cassava
- Siopao Asado-it took many attempts before I found the perfect siopao dough. Soft and fluffy, it’s worth the long search!
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- mini puto molds
- Prepare lower part of steamer with water and bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add eggs on at a time and using an electric mixer, beat after each addition. Add milk and beat until smooth. Add water and continue to beat until batter is thin and smooth. Add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended. Add ¾ of the cheese and stir until combined.
- Fill molds with batter up to ¾ full. Arrange molds in a single layer on steamer rack and place over steamer. Lower heat to medium and steam puto for about 8 to 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Turn off heat and top each puto with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese. Cover for about 1 minute to allow residual heat to melt cheese. Allow puto to slightly cool before removing from molds.
Tools/Supplies You Need for This Recipe (disclosure: affiliate link)
Kitchen Supply Mini Muffin Silicone Baking Cups, 1-7/8-Inch(measurement of bottom of cup), Set of 12