Beef and Baby Corn Stir-fry with succulent beef slices, crisp veggies, and baby corn in a sweet and savory sauce. Easy to make in one pan and 30 minutes, it’s perfect for busy weeknights. Plus learn the technique on how to make the beef super tender and moist!
If you’re looking for a tasty beef entree to add to your family dinner rotation or holiday celebration menu, look no further than beef stir-fry. With succulent beef slices, crisp veggies, tender young corn, and a savory brown sauce, it’s hearty, tasty, and sure to be a crowd pleaser!
This beef and baby corn stir-fry is quick and easy to make yet packs amazing taste and texture the whole family will love. Just a handful of ingredients, one pan, and 30 minutes and you’re on your way to a delectable dish everyone will be fighting over.
How Do You Make Stir-fry Beef Tender?
The secret to super moist and tender beef in stir-frying is a Chinese cooking technique called velveting.
In this method, the meat is marinated in cornstarch and soy sauce and then briefly blanched in oil or water before finishing off during the stir-fry process with the rest of the ingredients. The simple process creates a protective coat which seals moisture and keeps the beef moist and velvety soft.
What Sauce Goes with Beef Stir-Fry?
This beef stir-fry recipe uses my tried and tested and ever trusted sauce combination which is a simple mixture of broth, oyster sauce, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, and sugar perfectly thickened with a cornstarch slurry.
If you’re a fan of quick stir-fry meals, you need this best stir-fry sauce in your life! A delicious medley of sweet and savory, it delivers tons of flavor you’ll love on shrimp, chicken, and vegetables.
Easy Stir-Fry Recipes
Beef and Baby Corn Stir-fry
- 1 pound beef sirloin, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch strips
- 6 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 8 baby corn, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, drained
- 12 snow peas, ends trimmed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- In a small bowl, combine beef, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, and cornstarch. Stir to fully coat meat and let stand for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine water, oyster sauce, the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, sugar and pepper. Stir until well blended and set aside.
- With hands, gently squeeze meat to extract marinade. Add excess liquid into the bowl of oyster sauce mixture (this is important as the cornstarch from the marinade will thicken the stir-fry sauce).
- In a wok or wide pan over high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add bell peppers, baby corn, and water chestnuts and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add snow peas and cook for another 10 seconds. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add beef in a single layer and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd the pan, cook beef in batches if needed. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe down wok as needed. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add beef and vegetable mixture. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through and coated with sauce. Serve hot.