Like spaghetti, this Filipino-style macaroni salad is one of the things we adapted from the west and made our own. Unlike its plain ol’ western counterpart, it packs flavor and flair with a hodgepodge of shredded chicken, cubed cheese and ham, raisins and crushed pineapple. By adding our own Pinoy taste and twist to a classic dish, we turned it into something more delicious.
Filipino-style Macaroni Salad Prep time:Cook time:Total time:Yield: 6 to 8 servingsIngredients
- 1 (16 ounces) package elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 pound chicken breast or thigh meat, boneless and skinless
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 (14 ounces) can crushed pineapple
- ½ cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup quick-melt cheese (Velveeta or Eden), cubed
- 1 cup ham, cubed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- salt and pepper to tasteInstructions
- In a pot of salted boiling water, add macaroni and cook for about 8 to 9 minutes or until firm to bite. Drain, rinse under cold running water and allow to completely cool. Set aside.
- In a pot, add chicken meat and enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer chicken for about 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Drain from liquid, allow to completely cool and shred. Set aside.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add diced carrots and cook for about 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon, remove from water and plunge into an ice bath until completely cool. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine macaroni, chicken, carrots, ham, eggs, raisins, onions, cheese, mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk and pineapple including packing juice. Gently stir together until evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.3.2.2807