Chicken Potato Salad is the ultimate party side dish! Creamy, flavorful, and loaded with ham, pineapple, and carrots, it’s sure to be a crowd favorite.
Guys, I can’t say enough how much I appreciate you. These past few days have been super crazy amazing here at Kawaling Pinoy. The site usually averages around 15,000 to 20,000 pageviews a day but with you all visiting for Christmas recipes, it hit its all-time high of almost 50,000 pageviews on December 23. Woohoo!
Again, thank you, thank you, for making Kawaling Pinoy a part of your holiday celebrations.
Leche flan led the top ten recipes you came for and in a close second was my Filipino-style macaroni salad, and I can’t agree more with your choices! Forgive me for patting my own back but I have to say, my macaroni salad is the bomb!
It’s chock-full of every delicious goodie you can think of and this chicken potato salad, my friends, is the same good stuff. With tons of flavor and texture, it’s another crowd-pleaser you’d want to serve for parties or bring to potlucks.
- Boiled cubed potatoes
- Shredded cooked Chicken white or dark meat
- Cubed ham
- Chopped hardboiled eggs
- Chopped onions
- Crushed pineapple
- Sweet pickle relish
- cubed ham
- Parboiled, diced carrots
- Condensed milk
- To ensure potatoes are evenly cooked all the way through, start with cold water and make sure the potatoes are fully submerged in the water. To boost the flavor of the potatoes, add salt to the water.
- Cook the potatoes just until tender enough to pierce through easily with a fork, which should take for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow the potatoes to cool completely before adding the rest of the ingredients as the residual heat will melt the mayonnaise and make the salad overly greasy. To speed up cooling, arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet and refrigerate.
- Parboiled the carrots to maintain their color and crispness.
- Prefer your potato salad without mayo? Swap with sour cream or plain yogurt.
- Condensed milk might seem like an odd addition but it does add creaminess and balances the savory notes of the dish.
That’s it for now, my favorite people. As I leave you to your Christmas festivities, I wish you and your family the best during this holiday season and throughout the year. Maligayang Pasko!
Chicken Potato Salad
- 6 large potatoes
- 1/2 pound chicken breast or thigh meat, boneless and skinless
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup ham, cubed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Under cold running water, rinse potatoes well. In a pot, place potatoes and enough cold water to cover. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Cover and cook potatoes for about 12 to 15 minutes or until tender yet not falling apart.
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool. Peel and discard skins. With a knife, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a pot, add chicken and enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and then lower heat. Simmer chicken for about 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Drain chicken from liquid, allow to completely cool, and shred. Set aside.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add diced carrots and cook for about 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon, remove from water and plunge into an ice bath until completely cool. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, chicken, carrots, eggs, onions, crushed pineapple, sweet pickle relish, ham, mayonnaise, and condensed milk. Gently stir together until evenly distributed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.