Lumpia shanghai is a popular mainstay of Filipino food gatherings and in this Pinoy’s answer to eggrolls, spring roll wrappers are filled with a mixture of ground chicken or pork, chopped vegetables such as carrots, onions and jicama, and occasionally, minced shrimp. In my version, I use minced garlic to heighten flavor, chopped green onions for color, and water chestnuts for texture. Roll up a dozen, a hundred, if you please, as these addicting meat-filled spring rolls keep well in the freezer and are perfect for hurried lunches or surprise visits.
Lumpiang Shanghai Prep time:Cook time:Total time:Yield: 200 PiecesIngredients
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 package (50-count) springroll wrappers
- oil for deep fryingInstructions
- In a bowl, combine chicken, green onions, water chestnuts, carrots, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Separate wrappers into individual sheets and lay wrapper in a square on a flat working surface.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of meat mixture on edge of the side closest to you and spread mixture across the whole vertical length of wrapper. Pull the side with filling over and roll tightly into a log, leaving about ¼-inch of the wrapper. Lightly dab water on the remaining ¼-inch and complete rolling to seal into a tight log. Repeat with remaining wrappers. Cut logs into four 2-inch length pieces.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 inch of oil. Fry lumpia in batches, turning on sides as needed, until wrapper is golden brown and crisp and meat is cooked through. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet and sour sauce or ketchup.NotesDo not overcrowd pan during frying.3.2.2807
Food and Tools You Might Need for this Recipe (Disclaimer: Affiliate Links)
Dynasty Sliced Water Chestnuts, 8 Oz
Lumpia Shanghai (Meat-filled Spring Rolls)
March 23, 2013 By 9 Comments