Taco rice is a Mexican-Japanese fusion take on the popular taco! Choice taco fillings over a bed of white rice make a satisfying one-bowl lunch or dinner!
(taco)Takoraisu (rice) is a Mexican-Japanese fusion dish consisting of seasoned ground beef, shredded lettuce, and chopped tomatoes served over a bed of white rice instead of the more traditional tortilla shells.
The generous heap of taco fillings is then topped with salsa, sour cream, and “pizza cheese” (mozzarella) for a satisfying lunch or late night comfort food.
Originated in the Okinawa perfecture and traditionally catered to the U.S. military personnel stationed in the area, taco rice has since become Okinawa’s epitome of fast food and for good reason! With boldly-flavored meat, fluffy rice, and all the trimmings, this is a one-bowl meal that’s both hearty and delicious.
You can prepare the taco meat and all the fixings ahead of time but assemble just before serving to keep things fresh and crisp. Although you can use white steamed rice like Jasmine, I highly recommend short-grain rice for the best taco rice experience.
Looking for more delicious rice bowls? This Korean ground beef is one of my favorites!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking with the back of a spoon, until lightly browned.
- Add chili powder and cumin. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
- Add soy sauce and tomato sauce. Continue to cook until liquid is mostly absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide rice onto serving plates. Top each plate of rice with meat, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and mozzarella cheese. Serve immediately.