Level up taco night with this delicious Mexican-Japanese fusion with choice taco fillings piled over a bed of white rice. Taco Rice is ready in 30 minutes and makes a satisfying one-bowl lunch or dinner meal.
What is Takoraisu
(taco)Takoraisu (rice) is a Mexican-Japanese fusion dish consisting of seasoned ground beef, shredded lettuce, and chopped tomatoes served over a bed of white rice instead of the more traditional soft or crispy tortilla shells.
The generous heap of taco fillings is then topped with salsa, sour cream, and “pizza cheese” (mozzarella) for a satisfying lunch or late-night comfort food.
Originated in the Okinawa prefecture and traditionally catered to the U.S. military personnel stationed in the area, it has since become Okinawa’s epitome of fast food, and for good reason.
With boldly-flavored meat, fluffy rice, and all the trimmings, this is a one-bowl meal that’s both hearty and delicious. Plus, it’s easy to make in 30 minutes or less and budget-friendly, too!
- Ground beef– substitute ground turkey or chicken if you want a lower fat alternative
- Rice– although you can use steamed long grain rice like Jasmine, I highly recommend short-grain for the best taco rice experience.
- Seasonings– the taco meat is flavored with spices such as cumin and chili powder along with tomato sauce and ketchup
- Garnishes– feel free to add other taco fixings such as pinto beans, guacamole, and cilantro
How to serve
- To serve, arrange steamed rice on a serving plate and spoon the seasoned beef over the rice. Top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and shredded cheese plus a dollop of sour cream and salsa. Enjoy this delicious mash-up for lunch or dinner.
- To make ahead, prepare the taco meat and all the fixings. Store in separate containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Assemble just before serving to keep things fresh and crisp.
Looking for more delicious rice bowls? This Korean ground beef is one of my favorites!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups steamed short-grain rice
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking with the back of a spoon, until lightly browned.
- Add chili powder and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Add soy sauce and tomato sauce. Continue to cook until meat is cooked through and liquid is mostly absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide rice onto serving plates. Top each plate of rice with meat, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and mozzarella cheese. Serve immediately.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”