Guys, I know my job as a food blogger is to sell you on the recipes I post here at Kawaling Pinoy. But I have to admit, rellenong alimango is not my favorite way to enjoy crabs. First of all, making stuffed crabs is a very tedious process. Secondly, crabs are not exactly cheap and by the time you pick through the shells and cartillage, you’re lucky if you even get a cupful of crab meat.
Still, when I want something fancy for special occasions, rellenong alimango is my go-to dish. It’s wonderful as an appetizer (awesome with ice cold beer!) but makes a satisfying meal just as well. Filipino-style stuffed crabs are traditionally fried in hot oil until golden and crisp. I prefer to bake mine in the oven to simplify things a bit. Equally delicious! So yeah, girlfriends, impress someone special and make this your dinner tonight!
- 4 pieces blue crabs about 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ½ small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons green onions chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Under cold running water, wash crabs to remove grit and debris. Drain well.
- In a large pot over medium heat, bring about 1 quart of salted water to a boil. Lower crabs into water, cover and cook until color changes to red. Drain well and allow to cool to touch. Carefully remove upper top shells. Under cold running water, clean well and pat dry. Set aside.
- Pick through the shells, cartillage and claws to extract the crab meat. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat butter until it begins to foam. Add onions, garlic and bell peppers. Cook until softened. Remove from heat and allow to completely cool.
- In a bowl, combine crab meat, onion/bell pepper mixture, bread crumbs, mayonnaise and green onions. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Divide mixture and stuff into each crab shells. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 375 F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and tops are golden. Serve hot.