Adobong Talaba made with plump oysters cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic for a mouth-watering seafood dish. Delicious as an appetizer or main dish!
This adobong talaba is another of the delicious recipes I cooked in the Philippines on my vacation. We had a mini gathering at home and everyone wanted kilawing talaba, but since I don’t eat raw oysters,
we I decided to prepare the fresh oysters adobo-style instead.
Not that anyone complained, the dish turned out amazing! The oysters were plump, juicy and perfectly cooked. And oh, my, the adobo sauce! Laden with garlicky flavors, it was begging to be spooned over piping-hot steamed rice!
How to Make Adobong Talaba:
- Please note that the weight of oyster provided in the recipe is for oysters already removed from the shell. The fishmonger at our local wet market was kind enough to shuck them for us but if you need to do it yourself, check this tutorial on how to do it easily and safely. (Don’t have an oyster shucking knife? Use a flathead screwdriver!)
- I may not like raw oysters, but I don’t want them overcooked either. Like other seafood such as shrimp and squid, they turn tough when left too long to cook. To keep the oysters plump and juicy, we are doing a two-step cooking process. They’re first briefly sauteed in aromatics to rid of the briny taste and then finished off in the adobo sauce to absorb the flavor.
- If you prefer a drier sauce, cook off the soy sauce and vinegar mixture until reduced to desired consistency as the oysters need only a few minutes in the sauce.
- As you want to saute the oysters and bring the vinegar to a boil quickly, make sure the pan is hot, and set heat to medium-high.
Did you know one serving of these oysters is less than 80 calories? That means you can enjoy this adobo dish with as much rice as you like with less
guiltregret 😉Adobong TalabaPrep Time10 minsCook Time15 minsTotal Time25 mins
Adobong Talaba made with plump oysters cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic for a mouth-watering seafood dish. Delicious as an appetizer or main dish.Course: Main EntreeCuisine: FilipinoServings: 4 ServingsCalories: 77 kcalIngredients
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 pounds oysters, (meat only), drained well
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Nutrition FactsAdobong TalabaAmount Per ServingCalories 77 Calories from Fat 36% Daily Value*Total Fat 4g 6%Cholesterol 13mg 4%Sodium 534mg 22%Potassium 140mg 4%Total Carbohydrates 6g 2%Sugars 1gProtein 3g 6%Vitamin A 0.3%Vitamin C 5.1%Calcium 3.9%Iron 10.9%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
In a wide pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add oysters and saute for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Add vinegar and allow to boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and drain oysters, reserving liquid.
Return the liquid to the pan and bring to a boil, uncovered and without stirring. for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add soy sauce and continue to cook until reduced.
Add oysters and aromatics. Bring to a boil for about 2 to 3 minutes or just until heated through.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.