Sweet honey and pungent bagoong is a blend of flavors we'd last expect on a pair of chicken wings. I saw these honey bagoong chicken wings on Pepper.ph the other day and with such a weird combination, I just had to try them for myself. In the original recipe, the wings were done ala Bonchon, breaded, deep-fried and drizzled with the bagoong sauce. I was, however, not in the mood to tackle sizzling oil splattering on my face and our freshly-painted kitchen walls so I decided to do the chicken in the oven instead.
I marinated the drumettes in the honey-bagoong mixture for about 5 hours and baked them in the oven for about 35 minutes while occasionally basting with the glaze. Oh mah good Jesus! They were unbelievably delicious, the interplay of sweet and salty was like a party in my mouth. These honey bagoong chicken wings are definitely a culinary adventure you shouldn't miss. Enjoy!
Honey Bagoong Chicken Wings
- 3 lbs chicken drumettes
- ½ cup sauteed shrimp paste
- ¼ cup honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse chicken wings in cold water and drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine bagoong and honey until blended. Add chicken and massage with mixture. Marinate for at least 4 hours for best flavor.
- Remove chicken from marinade and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reserve marinade.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, heat honey-bagoong marinade for about 5 minutes or until thick and syrupy.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange chicken in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and bake in a 385 F oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and skin is caramelized. Halfway through cooking, turn and baste chicken with marinade. Remove from oven and serve hot.