My mother’s shrimps with oyster sauce and my ginataang hipon are both wonderful ways to enjoy my favorite crustacean but when I want instant gratification, the simplicity of halabos na hipon can’t be beat. There is just something about steaming shrimps in butter, garlic and 7-up that brings out their best flavor. Add a dash of red chili flakes and you have a meal perfect for “kamayan”.
- 2 pounds large shrimps, head-on
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup 7-up or Sprite
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using scissors, trim tendrils off shrimps. Wash and drain very well.
- In a skillet over high heat, add butter. When it begins to melt, add oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 seconds or until aromatic (do not burn). Add shrimps and cook, stirring regularly, for about 1 minute. When they begin to change color, add 7-up. Add chili pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimps turn pink and liquid is reduced. Serve hot.