Dulce de Leche Flan kicks up our regular leche flan up a notch. Made with sweet dulce de leche, it's rich, creamy and full of caramel flavor!
A year ago I decided to challenge myself and set out on a mission to recreate all different types of flan known to mankind in my kitchen. Well, friends, I was all talk. I came pretty short on that goal, shame on me, as after I posted the coffee flan, any plans of working on more flavors were all but forgotten.
The good thing is, I am getting back on track today with this dulce de leche flan as our newest flan flavor and have another one scheduled to post in the next few days. Woot!
What makes this dulce de leche flan extra special? First, it uses dulce de leche in place of sweetened condensed milk for a rich caramel flavor and secondly, the flan can be done entirely in the microwave for times you need a quick sweet fix!
How to make dulce de leche:
- Stovetop: In a double boiler pan set over boiling water, pour sweetened condensed milk. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 40 to 50 minutes or until thick and light caramel-colored. Remove from heat and whisk until smooth.
- Oven: In a 9-inch pie plate, pour sweetened condensed milk and cover with aluminum foil. Place pie plate in a shallow pan filled with hot water and bake in a 425 F oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until thick and light caramel-colored. Remove from heat and whisk until smooth.
- Slow Cooker: Peel off labels and place unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk in the crockpot and add enough water to cover cans to about 1 inch. Cook on LOW for about 7 to 8 hours.
- Microwave: In a large microwave-safe bowl, pour sweetened condensed milk. Cook on MEDIUM (50%) power for about 4 minutes, stirring halfway through. Reduce power to MEDIUM-LOW (30%) power and continue to cook, stirring every few minutes, for about 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and light caramel-colored.
I like to cook my flan using the bain-marie method so I can go about my other chores as it cooks in the oven without tending but you can definitely make this flan from start to finish in the microwave if you want dessert in a hurry.
How to make in the microwave:
- Caramelize the sugar: In a clear, microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup sugar and ¼ cup water. Stir well under sugar is completely dissolved. Microwave on high for about 6 to 7 minutes or until color changes to honey-gold. Immediately pour into microwave-safe ramekins, swirling around to cover the bottom.
- Make the dulce de leche: In a large microwave-safe bowl, pour sweetened condensed milk. Cook on MEDIUM (50%) power for about 4 minutes, stirring halfway through. Reduce power to MEDIUM-LOW (30%) power and continue to cook, stirring every few minutes, for about 8 to 10 minutes or until thick but spreadable and light caramel-colored.
- Blend the mixture: In a blender, combine dulce de leche, evaporated milk, and eggs. Process until smooth and blended. Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain mixture into a bowl. Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Cook the custard: Microwave each ramekin on Medium (50%) power for 2 minutes or until set but slightly wet. Refrigerate for about 1 to 2 hours to completely cool and set.
Leche flan is one of our most popular Filipino desserts, there's no holiday party or special occasion without it! If you're planning to make this classic custard dessert for your Christmas or New Year gathering, may I suggest ramping things up and giving this dulce de leche flan or our other flavor varieties a try?
Cream Cheese Flan-it’s like having leche flan and cheesecake in one delicious bite.
Coffee Flan-creamy, velvety soft and with the most intense coffee flavor, it’s guaranteed to satisfy sweet cravings.
Coconut Flan-coconut milk gives this flan a tropical twist.
Whole Eggs Flan-no need to waste egg whites! This one is as creamy and decadent as the yolk-only version.
We're 5 days to Christmas, you guys! I hope you find delicious inspirations here on Kawaling Pinoy for your celebrations. Wishing you all happy holidays filled with amazing food and amazing people.
Dulce de Leche Flan
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can (14 ounces) dulce de leche
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 6 eggs
- In a clear, microwave-safe bowl, combine water and sugar. Stir well under sugar is completely dissolved.
- Microwave on high for about 6 to 7 minutes or until color changes to honey-gold. Immediately pour into the ramekins, swirling around to cover the bottom.
- In a blender, combine dulce de leche, evaporated milk, and eggs, and pulse a few times until smooth and blended.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth, strain mixture into a bowl. Pour into prepared ramekins .and cover with foil.
- Arrange in a wide, oven-safe dish with about 1-inch of water (water bath).
- Bake in a 375 F oven for about 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of custard comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and refrigerate to set. To serve, turn flan over on a serving plate, ending with caramel on top.