Cream cheese flan is the ultimate dessert! Velvety smooth and creamy with a luscious caramel sauce, it’s your favorite cheesecake and flan rolled into one sweet treat!
Of the 400-plus recipes we have on Kawaling Pinoy, leche flan is for sure the most precious to me. Not only is it one of the primary drivers of traffic to the site, but it’s also near and dear to me on a personal level.
I am not going into detail today on why this said flan is meaningful to me as that story no longer matters. I am a now happier woman; I love and am loved by a better man.
Instead, I will share with you another version of creamy custard using cream cheese. If you love cheesecake AND flan, this cream cheese flan is for you. Rich and smooth with a luscious caramel sauce, it’s your two favorite desserts rolled into one scrumptious sweet treat!
What is Cheesecake Flan
Like the classic version, this flan de queso is made of milk, eggs, and caramelized sugar that’s blended together and baked or steamed until set.
Along with the eggs and the milk, cream cheese is whipped into the custard mixture, giving the flan a dense and sort of a cheesecake-like consistency.
Tips on How to Make Cream Cheese Flan
I like to prepare mine using an electric mixer but you can cut down the steps by simply processing the eggs, milk and cream cheese in a blender or food processor until there are no lumps.
Don’t worry about possible “bubbles”! This cream cheese variation is a bit more forgiving and turns out smooth even when the mixture is roughly blended together. In fact, there’s no need to strain the custard! If it looks too foamy, let it sit for a few minutes before pouring into molds for the foam to subside a little.
I caramelized the sugar directly in the metal mold over a stovetop. If prefer an easier method, you can check out my tips on how to caramelize sugar in the microwave.
The recipe yields four 1-cup llaneras but you can easily double or triple the batch for a party. Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Flan
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- In each of 4 llaneras, place 2 tablespoons sugar. Set each llanera over low heat until sugar is melted and golden, Use tongs to move the llanera repeatedly over the flames to prevent sugar from burning and to distribute melting liquid on the bottom of the mold . Remove from heat and allow caramel to cool and harden.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer at low speed. until smooth and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add condensed milk and evaporated milk and stir until well-combined. Let mixture sit for a few minutes to allow some of the foam to subside. Alternatively, combine eggs, evaporated milk, condensed milk, and cream cheese in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared llaneras.
- Cover llaneras with foil and arrange in a wide, oven-safe dish with about 1-inch of water (water bath).
- Bake in a 375 F oven for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of custard comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and then refrigerate to set. To serve, turn flan over on a serving plate, ending with caramel on top.