The recipe I used the caramel I made in the microwave in? This coconut flan! Guys, you know how much leche flan means to me, not only on a personal level but also on the growth of my blog. For the past two years, this sweet confection is my most viewed recipe every single day!
What sets this coconut variation from our traditional flan is that part of the evaporated milk is swapped with coconut milk. It also uses whole eggs for less waste and the caramel topping is done in the microwave for less fuss. Rich, silky-smooth and with a delicious hint of coconut flavor, this coconut flan may very well be the only way you’d want to make leche flan ever. 🙂
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 6 eggs
- 1 (14 ounces) can coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounces) can evaporated milk
- 1 (12 ounces) can condensed milk
- 12 ramekins
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and water. Stir well until sugar is completely dissolved. Microwave on high for about 6 to 7 minutes or until color changes to honey-gold. Immediately pour caramel into ramekins.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Gently stir in a circular motion until blended. With a cheesecloth, strain egg-milk mixture. Pour strained mixture into prepared ramekins.
- Cover ramekins with foil and arrange in a wide, oven-safe dish with about 1-inch of water (water bath). Bake in a 375 F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of custard comes out clean. Remove from oven, allow to cool and refrigerate to completely set. To serve, turn flan over on a serving plate, ending with caramel on top.