These Chocolate cupcakes are moist, chocolatey, and topped with a mocha buttercream frosting for a delicious snack or dessert. They’re quick and easy to make and with no eggs, they’re a great vegan treat.
Baking is not exactly a skill set I can proudly write to mama about, but occasionally, I like to roll up my sleeves and whip up baked goodies like I’m the next Sara Lee. There’s just something about the aroma of freshly baked cookies or cupcakes that screams comfort food.
Although I don’t bake as often as I cook, I do have a few baking recipes in my back pocket I put to good use year round. These super moist chocolate cupcakes with mocha buttercream frosting are, in fact, based on my favorite <a “rel=no follow” href=”https://www.onionringsandthings.com/cockeyed-cake-a-k-a-the-lazy-ass-cake/”>cake recipe which is probably the quickest and simplest one you’d come across.
This cake is my go-to when I am craving something sweet and indulgent but don’t have the time or energy to deal with dirty bowls after. All it needs is a minute of whisking and 30 minutes in the oven to come out moist and chocolatey EVERY TIME. The batter even gets mixed and baked in the same pan!
You can make this recipe in an 8 x 8 baking pan if you prefer a cake or in muffin tins for individual cupcakes. You get an amazing baked treat the whole family will love either way.
The unique thing about this cake is its ingredients. There are no eggs in the batter as the use of vinegar is where the magic lies!
As an acid, it reacts with baking soda to produce carbon dioxide which lifts the batter as it bakes. Don’t worry, the finished product will have no after taste and no one would be able to tell there’s vinegar in it.
Tips on How to Make Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- To boost the chocolate flavor, add a teaspoon of instant coffee granules to the batter.
- I use distilled white vinegar but apple cider vinegar will work, too.
- If you’re baking this as a cake, you can stir all the ingredients and bake in the same pan. There’s no need to grease the baking pan.
- I included a delicious mocha buttercream frosting which really goes well with the chocolate flavor but you can just sprinkle the cupcakes with powdered sugar or use store-bought icing if you want to keep things simple.
More Cupcake Recipes to Try
Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- 2 ounces baking chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well-distributed.
- In another bowl, combine water, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture and stir together until just combined.
- Using a scoop or tablespoon, divide batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to completely cool before frosting.
For the Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- In a microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate on HIGH for about 40 to 45 seconds. Stir until just melted and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and instant coffee granules. Stir until dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, vanilla extract, and salt and beat for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until blended, scraping occasionally.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add coffee mixture and beat until desired consistency.
- Chill buttercream for a few minutes before piping cupcakes.