Being Kapampangan, beef tapa was one of the breakfast staples I enjoyed regularly growing up. But instead of tender beef slices, it was for us, the sturdier “pindang damulag” or cured carabao meat. So now that I make my own at home, I prefer the leaner and tougher round steaks over prime tenderloin. Nevertheless, whatever type of meat you use, this tapa marinade made with fish sauce, brown sugar and lots of garlic will result to the best tasting tapsilog. Happy mornings everyone!
- 2 lbs. bottom round thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 garlic head peeled and minced
- 2 tbs. oil
- In a bowl, combine beef, fish sauce, brown sugar, pepper, and garlic. Massage beef with marinade and store in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. Drain beef from the liquid.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add beef and fry, turning once or twice, until lightly browned and cooked through. Serve hot.