Beef Curry with tender beef, potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers braised in coconut milk and curry spices makes an amazing meal the whole family will love. Rich, hearty and flavorful, it’s perfect with steamed rice!
Happy 2018, my favorite people! I hope you all had a fantastic holiday season surrounded by everyone and everything you hold dear.
2017 definitely turned far more than I expected. As I wasn’t on top with posting new recipes as I should have been, I was gnawing my nails all through the first half of December on whether I was going to meet my year-end traffic goals but like always, you guys floored me! I was amazed and completely humbled to see you all come in droves for holiday recipes and meal ideas.
If I haven’t said it before or if I don’t say it enough, I appreciate you. Thank you so much for your continued support of Kawaling Pinoy and for making it a part of your kitchen adventures. Here’s to a New Year better than the previous!
Since chicken curry was the most popular and most visited recipe of 2017, I thought I’ll expand the number of curry recipes on the blog with this beef curry today and a pork version in the next few days.
Like the chicken version, beef curry is a hearty stew of meat, potatoes, carrots and bell peppers. Beef chunks are first seared for maximum flavor and then gently stewed in coconut milk and curry spices until fork-tender for a rich, tasty dish that’s perfect with steamed rice!
Tips on How to Make Filipino-style Beef Curry:
- Cheaper, tougher cuts are best for the long, slow cooking process of beef stews. Skip leaner, pricier meats like tenderloin which turn tough and chewy and go for chuck or bottom round roast which break down well into tender, flavorful bites.
- Pan-fry the potatoes and carrots to keep from falling apart when added to the stew.
- For maximum flavor, adequately sear the beef.
- When coconut milk is added, do not allow to boil to keep from curdling or separating.
Beef Curry with tender beef, potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers braised in coconut milk and curry spices makes an amazing meal the whole family will love. Rich, hearty and flavorful, it's perfect with steamed rice!
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into strips
In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Add carrots and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Remove excess oil from pot except for about 2 tablespoons. Add beef in a single layer and sear for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Add onions and garlic and cook until softened, stirring regularly.
Add fish sauce and continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add water and bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
Add coconut milk and continue to simmer until liquid is slightly reduced.
Add potatoes and carrots and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until fork-tender.
Add curry powder and cook, stirring to combine, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Season with salt to taste.
Add bell peppers and cook for about 1 minute or until tender yet crisp. Serve hot.