Banana Meat made of Saba bananas filled with ground pork and fried to golden perfection. It’s a unique medley of sweet and savory flavors you’ll love!
One thing I love about blogging, other than always being surrounded by food, of course, is meeting awesome people. It’s always great to know folks who share my great love for all things yummy.
I knew Mia through her regular comments here on Kawaling Pinoy and I was so excited to find out she also blogs about food! Have you checked her website yet? Not only does she share Filipino recipes, but she also mixes in Russian delicacies. And along with Pinoy classics, she also showcases dishes I’ve never heard of, much less tried.
And here again, this Dalaguete specialty called banana meat. Saba bananas stuffed with sauteed ground pork and fried until golden and delicious? I was duly intrigued and with good reason.
These banana boats are truly a culinary adventure! The salty meat and the sweet bananas marry into a uniquely delicious medley of sweet and savory flavors. So good, I ate the four pieces I made in one sitting and wished I made more.
Give the recipe a try and make a big batch; these stuffed bananas are great as a midday snack as well as party appetizers.
- canola oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ripe but firm Saba bananas
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add ground pork and cook, breaking up to small pieces with the back of a spoon, for, about 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add soy sauce and continue to cook, stirring regularly, until meat is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove meat from pan and in a colander, drain any excess liquid. Allow to cool to touch.
- Peel bananas. With a knife, make an incision on one side of the bananas.
- Using a spoon, gently stuff the banana with the cooked meat. Make sure not to overstuff bananas as they will split open!
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water. Whisk together until smooth and well blended. Spoon mixture over stuffed bananas to cover meat filling.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 2 inches deep of oil. Gently place bananas stuffed side up into the hot oil. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Serve warm.