Unlike my pork afritada where I use canned tomato sauce, I prefer fresh tomatoes in my chicken afritada. It may entail a little more effort than opening a can but using fresh tomatoes brings a special difference to the quality and flavor of this Filipino chicken stew. Give it a try for dinner tonight and let me know what you think.
Chicken Afritada Prep time:Cook time:Total time:Yield: 4 ServingsIngredients
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch thick wedges
- ½ small red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into ½-inch thick strips
- ½ small green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into ½-inch thick strips
- 1 (about 3 pounds) whole chicken, cut into serving parts
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 large Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- salt and pepper to tasteInstructions
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 inch deep of oil. Add potatoes and cook, turning once or twice, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add carrots to pan and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add bell pepper and cook for about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add chicken and cook, turning on sides once or twice, until lightly browned but not cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In a pot, heat about 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until aromatic. Add tomatoes and cook, mashing regularly with back of spoon, until softened and release juices. Add fish sauce and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Add more water in ½ cup increments, if necessary. Add potatoes and carrots and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until fork tender and sauce is thickened and reduced. Add bell peppers and sweet peas. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until sweet peas are heated through and bell peppers are tender yet crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.3.2.2925
October 13, 2013 By 16 Comments