Thank you, everyone, for all your get-well wishes. I truly, truly appreciate your concern and your taking the time to make sure I am alright. After going through a 5-pound bag of ice and getting a 12-hour long sleep yesterday, the knee and I are doing much better. In fact, I spent the whole of today cooking and baking. I have quite a number of delicious things coming for ya, my friends. Baked macaroni, cheese puto, relyenong alimasag, Batchoy Tagalog and this chicken caldereta are what’s on Kawaling Pinoy menu this week. Please make sure to subscribe to our email newsletter to never miss a recipe!
Beef and goat are the most widely used in making the rich and spicy caldereta. It is not uncommon, however, to find chicken or pork versions of this tomato-based stew. But really, there is not much of a difference in the ingredients and procedures of the many versions of caldereta. The only thing that sets this chicken calderata apart from its beef counterpart is that the chicken is first marinated in a mixture of pineapple juice and soy sauce for added layer of flavor. Have this for dinner tonight and please let me know what you think. I love hearing from you.
- 1 3 pounds whole chicken, cut into serving parts
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut diagonally in a bias into 1/2-inch thick
- 1 small green bell pepper cored, seeded and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 small red bell pepper cored, seeded and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 to 3 Thai chili peppers ends trimmed and minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup liver spread
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese or any quickmelt variety, shredded
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, pineapple juice, soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Marinate chicken for about 30 minutes. Drain very well, reserving liquid.
- In wide pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add carrots and cook for about 2 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add bell peppers and cook, stirring regularly, for about 30 seconds. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In the pan, add chicken and fry until lightly browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Discard excess oil from pan, leaving about 2 tablespoons. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp. Add chili peppers and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and olives. Lower heat, cover and continue to cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add potatoes and carrots and cook until tender. Add liver spread and stir until well blended. Add cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Add bell peppers. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve hot.