Pork Embutido

Over the years, I have tweaked my pork embutido recipe many times~from adding liver spread to mixing in cheese~until I arrived to this version which has become a frequent request of family and friends.  The thing I like about these Filipino-style meatloaves is that they are not only impressive on a party table but they also serve equally well paired with fried rice as an easy breakfast meal or sandwiched between bread rolls for a satisfying mid-afternoon snack. Keeping a steady supply in the freezer has certainly saved me from worrying about dinner on many hectic days.

Pork Embutido

• 3 eggs, well-beaten
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 eggs, hardboiled, peeled and quartered
  • 3 pieces vienna sausages, cut into four lengthwise
Instructions
  1. In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onions and cook until limp.
  2. In a large bowl, combine ground pork, crushed pineapple, carrots, sauteed onions, raisins, ketchup, beaten eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well until evenly distributed.
  3. On center of a 12-inch aluminum foil, spread ⅓ of the pork mixture creating a rectangular shape. Arrange sliced eggs and vienna sausages on top and middle of pork mixture. Carefully roll mixture to form a log of about 3-inch in diameter. Wrap the foil around the meat and crimp ends of foil to seal tightly. Repeat with remaining pork mixture.
  4. In a roasting pan, add about 2 inches of water. Arrange foil-wrapped pork mixture on a roasting rack and position rack on top of water-filled pan. Bake in a 375 F oven for about 50 to 60 minutes or until juice runs clear when pork rolls are pierced with a knife. Allow to cool before peeling foil.
  5. In a pan, heat about 1 inch of oil. Add embutido and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides. Let stand for about 5 minutes before slicing into desired thickness.

Pork Embutido

Comments

1. isabel says

I tried your recipe and this is kinda different in all the recipes I tried .. I put too much salt on my mixture so I just told them to eat it with lots of rice :)

• says

Hello Isabel

Hahaha, drowning salty foods in ketchup works, too :)

Next time, put less of the salt you think you need then pan-fry a small amount of the pork mixture and do a taste test. You can can adjust seasonings, if necessary (salt, pepper etc).

2. Edz says

Hi Ms. Lalaine!

Your recipes are really, really good! They are also easy to follow and always have these inspiring and lovely introductions which I love to read. Have been using your recipes since last year when I found your best leche flan recipe which I receive so many good compliments with..:-) From then on, I’ve been dependent of your blogs..

Thank you so much for sharing all your amazing recipes! God bless!

3. Meg mc says

First time to make embutido and it’s a hit!! Thanks for the delicious recipe. Btw, before i put it in the freezer, do i have to steam/bake it first?

4. Grace Sisracon says

I tried your pork embutido just a few days ago and it’s a winner… My hubby brought it to his work for his lunch and shared it with his “pare” .When my husband came home, he said his friend liked it and asked if he can order some roll. My son likes it as well. Thanks for sharing your recipe. And May God bless your endeavours.. =)

• says

Hello, Grace

I am so happy to hear about the success of your embutido. And you received orders, too! Nice. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a feedback. :)

• says

Hi Isabel

Yes, you can substitute tomato catsup. You can add stir in half a teaspoon of sugar to the tomato catsup, if you want, to get the sweetness of banana catsup. Enjoy!