Guys, I must love you a whole lot. ‘Cause you know, it’s my birthday today and I am currently at the most fun place on earth, Las Vegas, for a three-day vacay. Yet, here I am, cooped up in our hotel room and posting this shrimp with green peas and cashew recipe just for you.
If that’s not devotion, I don’t know what is.
Good thing, though, the ingredients and cooking procedure for this seafood dish are so simple and uncomplicated, writing up the recipe won’t take me very long. And there’d be none of my long-winded tangents as well. I hope you understand, I gotta paint the town red and win me some money. 🙂
Shrimp with Green Peas and Cashew
- 1 pound medium shrimps peeled and deveined
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced thinly on a bias
- 1 stalk celery sliced thinly on a bias
- 1 cup frozen green peas thawed
- 1/2 cup cashews
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Stir-fry Sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce I used Kikkoman
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
- In a bowl, combine egg white and cornstarch. Whip together until frothy. Add shrimps and massage until coated. Marinate for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine stir-fry sauce ingredients:water, soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine, brown sugar, and the 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a wok or wide pan over high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add shrimps and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until color just changes to pink. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp and aromatic. Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring regularly, for about 30 seconds or until half done.
- Add stir fry sauce (make sure to stir first to disperse cornstarch) and bring to a simmer or until slightly thickened. Add green peas and shrimps. Continue to cook, stirring to combine, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until green peas and shrimps are heated through and vegetables are tender yet crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.