Level up canned sardines into a spicy, full-flavored sardines caldereta! It’s easy to make, budget-friendly, and delicious as an appetizer or main dish.
Canned sardines is a staple in my pantry and one I use a lot in my cooking. Not only is it easy to prepare and readies quickly, but it’s also a tasty and economical way to add protein to our meals.
I use sardinas in many of our dinner favorites such as ginisang upo and ampalaya, but I might have gone a little overboard stocking up during the lockdown as Ligo cans have taken over my cupboards! I am excited to find more creative sardines recipes like this fish caldereta which turns out hearty and flavorful in under thirty minutes!
- Garlic and onions-to boost flavor
- Potatoes and carrots-to extend servings
- Green and red bell peppers-for added color and texture
- Green olives-use pitted for best results
- Thai chili peppers-to add a kick of heat
- salt and pepper-season the dish to taste
- Cut the potatoes and carrots in small and even size to ensure fast and even cooking. Pan-fry first until lightly browned to prevent from falling apart when finished off in the sauce.
- If the sauce is drying out before the vegetables are tender, add more water or tomato sauce for a heartier flavor.
- To keep the fish intact, add when the vegetables are fully cooked and do not over-stir.
- If using the spicy canned sardines variety, decrease or omit the chili peppers.
How to serve
- This kalderetang sardinas is delicious as an appetizer with or as a main meal with steamed rice.
- Store leftovers in a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave at 2 to 3-minute intervals until heated through.
- 2 cans (5.0 ounces each) sardines in tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Thai chili peppers, stemmed and minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup green olives
- salt and pepper
- Drain sardines from tomato sauce, reserving sauce.
- In a wide pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and cook until lightly browned and almost cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add carrots and cook until almost cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Remove excess oil except for about 1 tablespoon. Add bell peppers and cook for about 20 to 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add chili peppers.
- Add reserved sardines sauce and water. Bring to a boil, stirring to distribute .
- Add potatoes, carrots, and olives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add sardines and bell peppers. Gently stir to distribute. Continue to cook until heated through. Serve hot.