I am all about ease and convenience in cooking so if you prefer not to hollow a whole pineapple and opt for canned pineapple instead, I am all for ya. Rest assured, this dish will turn out just fine. Having said that, if you do have a few minutes to spare and don’t mind a little bit more mess, I urge you to take that extra step. There is just something about fresh pineapple chunks and serving this pineapple fried rice in a pineapple boat that makes it that more delicious.
Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1 pineapple
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined with tails on
- 1/4 lb chicken breast cut into 1-in. strips
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 green onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stand pineapple (with leaves facing up) on a flat work surface. With a serrated knife, slice down on one side of pineapple at about 1/2 inch thick. Do not cut leaves.
- Using knife, cut around the inside of the pineapple, following the rim. Cut the pineapple flesh by making vertical and horizontal slices. Using a large spoon, scoop out the pineapple. Scrape down any fibers left inside pineapple boat.
- Cut pineapple flesh into 1-inch chunks. Only 1 cup will be used in the recipe. Store remainder of pineapple in an airtight container and use for other recipes. Rinse pineapple boat and drain well.
- Using hands, break rice to separate grains. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, chicken broth, curry powder and sugar. Stir until sugar and curry powder are well-dispersed. Set aside.
- In a wide pan or wok over high heat, heat about 1 tablespoon oil. Add pineapple chunks and cook, stirring regularly, for about 1 minute. Remove from pan and set aside. Add shrimps and cook, stirring regularly, until color changes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of oil into pan. Add chicken and cook, stirring regularly, for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe down pan as needed. Add about 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until aromatic. Add eggs and cook, stirring regularly, for about 1 minute or until they begin to set but still moist. Add fish sauce and curry mixture, stirring regularly.
- Add cashews and cook, stirring regularly, for about 30 seconds or until lightly toasted.
- Add rice and cook, spreading the rice on entire cooking surface of pan, for about 45 seconds or until grains start to sizzle and then toss to redistribute. Repeat a few times until sauce is well distributed.
- Add green peas and raisins. Add the shrimps, chicken and pineapple. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add green onions and continue to cook, tossing regularly, for another 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- To serve, spoon rice into pineapple boats. Garnish with additional raisins and cashews as desired. Serve hot.