I am loving this food blogging thing. It’s turning me into a Martha-esque diva. I mean, I’ve always enjoyed cooking and dabbling in a little bit of baking here and there. But to be making my own longganisa and chicharon? Or bottling my own atchara and mango jams? Who would have thought. Cassava cake, mini eggpies and ube halaya have always been my specialties but since starting Kawaling Pinoy, I also learned how to make buchi, coconut macaroons and brazo de mercedes! And today, after spending the whole afternoon testing and re-testing a number of recipes to come up with the taste and texture I like, I am now able to make my own batch of pastillas de leche at home. Woot hoot!
Pastillas de leche are Filipino candies made with milk and sugar. They are so easy to make, 90% of the work involved is reducing the fresh milk. Although this process will take about 1 to 1-/12 hours, please do not be tempted to cook down the milk at more than a gentle simmer. When boiled vigorously, milk will curdle and thus affecting the texture of the prepared pastillas. Have faith, my peeps, these sweet treats are definitely worth the wait.
- 5 cups fresh milk
- ⅔ cup sugar and ½ cup for dusting
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup full cream powdered milk (I used Nido)
- In a wide, nonstick skillet over low heat, combine milk and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook, regularly stirring and scraping sides and bottom of pan, for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until milk is reduced and mixture turns into a thin paste.
- Add lime zest and stir to combine. Add butter and powdered milk and stir until smooth and well combined. Continue to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture begins to pull from sides of pan and turns into a soft dough. Transfer mixture into a lightly-oiled plate and allow to cool to touch.
- Divide mixture into about 40 portions and roll each portion into logs of about 1-inch long. Roll pastillas in sugar until fully coated. Wrap each piece in Japanese paper.
Food and Tools You Might Need for this Recipe (Disclaimer: Affiliate Links)
Edukit Cello Sheets 8.5 x 11.7 ” 100 Pack 8 Assorted Colors