Buko Pandan Gelatin magically turns into delicious layers of pandan and coconut gelatin. It’s so easy to make and is sure to be a crowd favorite!
You guys, Christmas is just around the corner and I can’t be more excited! This is the best time of the year; I can hardly wait for all the festivities to get started.
I’ve been planning special dishes as early as last month and I now have a good handful of recipes lined up to post these coming weeks. I hope you remember to check Kawaling Pinoy for meal ideas and inspirations this holiday season.
The last thing you want to worry about during the hustle and bustle of Noche Buena is a complicated dessert. Buko pandan gelatin makes a stunning centerpiece for all your family gatherings yet it’s so easy to make.
Unlike the pandan and coconut jelly and the cathedral window gelatin recipes we have on the blog which require some sort of assembly, this buko pandan gulaman is just a matter of pouring the flavored mixture into a gelatin mold. As the hot liquid cools and sets, the coconut milk floats on top, creating a two-layer dessert with no extra effort on your part.
That’s what I call Christmas magic. 🙂
Tips on How to Make Buko Pandan Gelatin
- Tear the agar-agar bars into small pieces so they’ll soften faster.
- The package directions state to soak the bars for 30 minutes before cooking but I suggest doing it longer to dissolve quicker.
- For depth of flavor, soak in coconut juice instead of water.
- Once the coconut milk is added, cook in a simmer and do not boil the mixture lest the milk curdles and separates.
- Lightly grease the inside of the mold before pouring in the gelatin mixture to make it easier to release the set gelatin.
- Allow the mixture to cool before covering with film as the steam might create water puddles on the gulaman.
- To serve, run the tip of a pointed knife around the edge of the mold to loosen gelatin and carefully invert on a serving plate. You can apply a hot, moist towel for about 1 minute to the outside of the mold to loosen gelatin and then gently shake the mold to release the gelatin.
Buko Pandan Gelatin
- 1 package (0.70 ounces) agar-agar bars
- 4 cups coconut juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3 drops buko pandan flavor extract
- 1 cup young coconut, shredded
- Tear agar bars into small pieces.
- In a large pot. combine agar and coconut juice and soak for about 30 minutes or until softened.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring regularly, until agar-agar melts.
- Add sugar and continue to cook, stirring regularly, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, shredded young coconut, and pandan extract. Stir until color is well distributed.
- Bring to a simmer (DO NOT BOIL) and continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until heated through.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a lightly greased 8-cup gelatin mold. Cool until gelatin begins to set.
- Cover with film and refrigerate for about 1 to 2 hours or until completely set.
- To serve, carefully invert onto a serving plate and cut into serving portions.