Banana Heart Burger made with shredded banana heart, eggs, flour and oyster sauce. Super moist and tasty, this vegetarian burger is a delicious and nutritious alternative to beef patties.
Today is Memorial Day and G and I will be hosting a small backyard bbq party complete with burgers, hot dogs and all the fixin’s late in the afternoon.
Along with the traditional beef burgers, I am also making this banana heart burger I first published here on Kawaling Pinoy in September 2014. A few of our friends who are joining in the fun are vegetarian and I am sure they’ll enjoy this interesting take on meatless burgers as much as I do.
On a side note, published in 2014! Wow, have I been blogging that long? Time sure flies when we’re having fun. 🙂
Banana heart is one vegetable I love to cook with. Not only is it relatively cheap, it’s also a versatile ingredient you can turn into many mouthwatering dishes such as kilawin or lumpia. Yet, versatile it may be, I was still understandably doubtful when I discovered a burger recipe which uses this tear-shaped vegetable for the patty.
Hamburgers are my kind of comfort food and I can have it for (or two) for lunch and dinner today and still want it for lunch and dinner the next day. But, it has to be meat! Thick, juicy quarter pounder beef patties, yes, please! Salmon, mushroom, and those vegan versions? Just won’t cut it. Or so I thought until this banana heart burger waltzed into my mouth and won my affections.
Super moist and tasty, this delectable banana heart burger just might drive old Macdonald out of the map. 🙂
- 1 medium banana heart
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
For the Burgers
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices American cheese
- green leaf lettuce, leaves separated
- tomatoes, sliced thinly
- Peel and discard the outer, fibrous skin layers of banana heart until you reach the lighter, softer core. Trim off the stem and discard. Cut banana core into half and slice thinly.
- In a bowl of cold salted water, place shredded banana heart and soak for about 15 to 20 minutes. Using hands, squeeze to release bitter sap. Rinse with cold water and with hands, squeeze well to dispel liquid.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon oil. Add onions and cook until limp. Add banana heart and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
- Add oyster sauce and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer until liquid is mostly absorbed. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, combine sauteed banana heart, flour, and eggs. Mix well. Form into 4 uniform-sized patties.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 2 tablespoons oil. Gently Add banana patties in a single layer and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden and firm. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Assemble burgers with desired condiments, veggie patty, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”