Who doesn’t like the occasional siopao? Left to my own devices, I would have these steamed fluffy buns morning, noon and night. But as deep as my affinity to siopao is my dislike for their labor. The making of the dough, the filling and the sauce all translate to a good day’s hard work and not one I am willing to tackle. My solution? Refrigerated biscuits, frozen fully-cooked meatballs and canned boiled quail eggs! In twenty minutes tops, I can have a dozen or so of stored siopao bola-bola in the freezer to zap in the microwave at desire’s notice. My cheater’s siopao bola bola are so soft and pillowy, you won’t know the difference.
Siopao Bola Bola (The Cheater’s Recipe) Prep time:Cook time:Total time:Yield: 8 ServingsIngredients
- 1 tube (8 each) jumbo refrigerated biscuits
- 8 pieces frozen meatballs, thawed
- 8 pieces quail eggs, hardboiled and peeledFor the Sauce
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon oil
- salt to taste ( about a pinch or two)Instructions
- Open tube of refrigerated biscuits and separate each dough. With hands or rolling pin, flatten dough to about 3-inch diameter. Place a meatball and an egg on center of each flattened dough and pull edges to center. With hands, twist edges to fully enclose filling. Place each dough balls on 3 x 3-inch cut parchment paper and arrange about 1 to 2 inches apart in steamer basket.
- In bottom part of steamer, add water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar for every liter of water. Bring water to a simmer. Place the steamer basket over the pot of simmering water, cover, and steam for about 10 to 15 minutes or until buns are puffed and tops are shiny. Remove from steamer and serve hot with sauce.For the Sauce
- In a sauce pot, combine water, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, oil and salt to taste and stir until sugar and corn starch are dissolved. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and cook, stirring regularly, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.3.2.2925