When I make lumpiang shanghai, I usually make twice the meat filling. These Filipino-style spring rolls stock well in the freezer and are perfect for days when I am too pressed to prepare anything else for lunch or when guests drop by impromptu. But mostly, I have the filling handy and ready in the freezer to use for other meal ideas as well. This sotanghon at bola bola soup is only a matter of defrosting the meat mixture, shaping it into balls and a quick twenty minutes on the stove. With spoonfuls of noodles, napa cabbage, meatballs and broth, it makes a light yet satisfying meal. Enjoy!
|Sotanghon at Bola Bola Sopas (Cellophane Noodles and Meatball Soup)|| |
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 cups chicken stock or plain water
- 4 ounces (about 2 coils) Sotanghon (cellophane noodles)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup kinchay (Chinese celery), finely chopped
- ¼ pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine ground chicken, green onions, water chestnuts, garlic, carrots, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls and set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add shallots and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes or until limp and aromatic. Add chicken stock (or water) and bring to a boil.
- Gently drop meatballs into boiling water and cook, skimming scum that arises to top, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until meat changes color. Lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until meat is fully cooked.
- Add noodles and cook for about 2 to 4 minutes or until translucent and softened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cabbage and kinchay and continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until cabbage is tender yet crisp. Serve hot.
Food and Tools You Might Need for this Recipe (Disclaimer: Affiliate Links)
L&W Vermicelli Bean Threads Glass Noodles 8-pack x 2 Oz.: Non GMO Fat Free Gluten Free All-natural Ingredients
Dynasty Sliced Water Chestnuts, 8 Oz
Cuisinart 755-26GD Chef’s Classic Stainless 5-1/2-Quart Multi-Purpose Pot with Glass Cover