Tofu, Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry made of tofu, asparagus, and shiitake mushrooms in a savory stir-fry sauce. Healthy and delicious, it’s a meatless dish you’ll love on its own or with steamed rice!
If you’re looking for delicious vegetarian dishes, this tofu, asparagus and mushroom stir-fry needs to be on your list. Hearty, scrumptious and a good source of protein, it’s an amazing meatless meal you can enjoy this Lenten season and all year long.
We’re big meat eaters in our household but with the delectable combination of soft tofu cubes, tender-crisp asparagus, and meaty shiitake mushrooms in a savory stir-fry sauce over steamed rice, we hardly miss the meat! The best part is, this tofu and vegetable stir-fry is so easy to make, you’ll have dinner ready in no time!
I used for this recipe my tried and tested and ever trusted stir-fry sauce which has made a few delicious appearances on the blog as this beef and baby corn stir-fry and snow peas with shrimp stir-fry. If you’re a fan of quick stir-fry meals, this stir-fry sauce need to be in your repertoire! Full-flavored and versatile, it’s liquid gold!
The only change I made to this ever dependable sauce is to substitute vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce (this is an affiliate link, please read my disclosure policy) to make this tofu stir-fry a true vegan dish. You can find this vegetarian version alongside the real stuff at most Asian grocery stores or you can order a bottle or two on Amazon using the link above for your convenience.
Tofu, Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch (about 2 cups) asparagus, ends trimmed and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
For the Stir-fry Sauce
- 1 cup water or liquid from soaking the dried mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, cover mushrooms with warm water and soak for about 20 to 30 minutes or until soft. Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid if using. Cut off and discard stems. Cut caps into thin slices.
- Wrap tofu in paper towels, set on a wire rack or colander, and weigh down with a plate for about 15 to 20 minutes to extract moisture. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a bowl, combine stir-fry sauce ingredients: water (or soaking liquid), oyster sauce, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, sugar, cornstarch, pepper. Stir until smooth and well-blended. Set aside.
- In a wide skillet or wok over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add asparagus and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until half-done. Add mushrooms.
- Add stir-fry sauce and bring to a simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add tofu and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until tofu cubes are heated through and asparagus is tender-crisp. Serve hot.