Melon juice made of shredded cantaloupe and simple syrup is a refreshing drink you’ll love year round. Bursting with fresh fruit flavor, it’s a tasty and healthy way to hydrate!
We’re still in the middle of Winter, and Central Texas weather is already starting to sizzle up. Our area has a humid subtropical climate, so you can imagine how hot and sticky it will get come Summertime.
Good thing I work from home and don’t need to brave the scorching heat. And good thing I can have this refreshing melon juice to keep me cool and hydrated all year round!
What you’ll need
This refreshing drink requires only three simple ingredients to make. Cantaloupe, sugar, and water!
If you prefer a healthier alternative, substitute honey or agave for the simple syrup as a sweetener.
Extract more flavor
A lot of flavor is in the seeds and pulp! Using a sharp knife, cut the melon in half. Scoop off the seeds and pulp with a spoon and place in a bowl. Add about 1 cup of water and press with the back of the spoon to extract the juice. Strain in a fine-mesh sieve; reserve the liquid and discard the seeds.
How to shred
Hold the cantaloupe firmly and shred the flesh with a fruit/coconut shredder. If you don’t have a shredder, peel the cantaloupe and shred using the large holes of a grater or in a food processor.
Instead of simply stirring in sugar, I suggest taking the extra step of making a simple syrup to sweeten the drink evenly. Sugar doesn’t dissolve well in cold liquids and tends to settle at the bottom.
If serving the drink over ice, you might want to make it a tad sweeter, as the ice will melt and dilute the taste over time.
Adding Milk to Cantaloupe Juice
Melons have a chemical compound that interacts and breaks down proteins in milk, producing an acrid taste. If you prefer a creamy drink without the bitter taste, stir in the milk just before serving.
You can also add a squirt or two of lemon juice to brighten the flavors.
More Beverage Recipes
- 1 large cantaloupe
- 1 cup simple syrup
- 4 cups cold water
For the Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cut cantaloupe in half crosswise and with a spoon, scrape off seeds and inner pulp.
- In a bowl, place seeds and pulp with one cup of the water, and mash with the back of a spoon to extract flavor. Using a colander, strain juice and discard seeds.
- Hold the cantaloupe half firmly and shred flesh using a fruit shredder or the tines of a fork into thin strands.
- In a pitcher, combine shredded melon, extracted juice from seeds, simple syrup, and the remaining 3 cups of water. Stir well and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve
For the Simple Syrup
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”