How to Toast Coconut in three different ways using stove, microwave or oven. With this easy-to-follow guide, you’ll have fragrant coconut to use in your favorite recipes!
Oh, what a day what a day this day is turning out to be! I woke up early this morning to find close to 50 comments waiting for moderation on the blog and about a dozen emails in my inbox, all happy wishes from readers for my birthday. Awww, you guys! Thank you, thank you! I appreciate the ♥.
And as if all your loving was not enough, Buzzfeed featured my pearl ball recipe in their No More Chinese Take-out round-up and Foodista showcased my sweet and sour pork on their Facebook page, bringing in awesome traffic to Kawaling Pinoy throughout the day.
And the best news is, right this very minute, my favorite brat in the whole wide world is driving from Northern California to spend a week at home. What better gift is there than to have my daughter with me on my birthday?
Anyway, back to the topic you came here for. How to Toast Coconut is part of Kawaling Pinoy’s cooking tips series. I will be slowly expanding this section of the blog in the coming months so if you have any food prep topics and kitchen hacks you want to be covered, please let me know.
Making toasted coconut is a very simple process but since it’s frequently used in Filipino cooking, I might as well have a standalone entry to refer to for recipes that incorporate it as an ingredient. Easy peasy, my friends, cook on medium heat, stir regularly for a minute or two and then turn off heat when the coconut shreds begin to brown to allow the residual heat of the pan to finish them off beautifully. So simple, it’s wise to keep a handy dandy jar of this stuff ready to use.
Here are a few suggestions on how to use toasted coconut:
- On Maja blanca, of course!
- Delicious in a Thai Mango salad <–my favorite!
- Sprinkle over ice creams and halo-halo for added crunch and aroma
- Spruce up your next batch of rice
- Use in baked goods such as cakes, cookies, pies and dessert bars
How To Toast Coconut
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
On the Stovetop
- In a wide skillet over medium heat, add coconut. Cook, stirring regularly for about 1 to 3 minutes or coconut begins to brown. Turn off heat and continue to cook, stirring regularly, in the residual heat until mostly golden brown. Remove immediately from pan and allow to cool completely.
In the Oven
- On a baking sheet, spread coconut in a single layer. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 6 to 10 minutes or just until coconut begins to brown. Turn the coconut every 2 to 3 minutes to ensure even browning. Remove immediately from baking sheet and allow to cool completely.
In the Microwave
- In a microwave-safe pan/dish, spread coconut in a single layer. Microwave on HIGH for about 5 to 8 minutes or coconut begins to brown. Stir the coconut every 2 to 3 minutes to ensure even browning. Remove immediately from the pan and allow to cool completely.