The chicken tapa and the toyomansi pork chops I shared one after the other a few days ago are the perfect example of how a simple swap of ingredients can mean a delightful whole new dish to enjoy. Both were marinated in the same mixture of soy sauce, calamansi (lemon for the tapa) juice and garlic, and yet each is a whole new experience for the palate. Another good example is this honey garlic chicken.
One regular on our dinner rotation is this salmon (recipe on my other blog) marinated in honey, soy sauce and garlic. I just love how easily the fish comes together super moist and flavorful using staple ingredients I already have in the pantry. I thought I will re-create the same medley of deliciousness using chicken and I am glad to report, it turned out beautifully!
Most of the work in this recipe is the coating of the chicken pieces in cornstarch slurry and deep-frying until golden-crisp. You can certainly do away with the breading, if you like, by simply pan-frying the seasoned chicken in a skillet before tossing in the sauce. Although this method is a delicious alternative when I want to whip up a meal in a jiffy, I still prefer the whole nine yards in terms of texture and taste. Trust me, my peeps, the crunchy chicken morsels generously drenched in the sweet and savory honey garlic concoction is so worth the extra effort!
Honey Garlic Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thigh or breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- green onions chopped
For the Honey Garlic Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine chicken, soy sauce and Chinese cooking wine. Marinate in the refrigerator for about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain chicken, discarding liquid.
- In a bowl, combine egg whites and cornstarch. Whisk together until well-blended and frothy. Add chicken and mix to fully coat.
- In a thick-bottomed, deep pan over medium heat, heat about 2 to 3 inches deep of oil. Add chicken pieces one at time to prevent from lumping together. Deep-fry for about 5 to 6 minutes or until golden. With a slotted spoon, remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Cook chicken in batches, DO NOT OVERCROWD pan.
- In a saucepan, combine honey garlic sauce ingredients: honey, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, Sriracha sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together until well-blended. In a skillet over medium heat, heat mixture until bubbly. Add chicken and gently toss until coated with sauce. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green onions, if desired. Serve hot.