Would you believe it’s just 89 days to Christmas? Wasn’t it just yesterday when we took down our lights and trees? And now, Christmas is back, eager to knock on our door once more. As I tend to get on the party wagon late, I thought this year I’ll start early with my holiday recipes and give you plenty of time to plan your festivities. And what dessert do we associate more with the holidays than buko salad?
Every Filipino household has their own version of this delicious concoction and this one here is my mother’s. While buko salad is mostly made with canned fruits, young coconut, palm fruits, cream and sweetened milk, she likes to add corn kernels and cubed cheese in hers. These are not typical ingredients you’ll find in buko salad but you gotta trust the woman, she knows what’s up. The corn provides additional texture while the saltiness of the cheese balances the overall sweetness of the dessert. Give this a try and let me know what you think.
- 4 cups young coconut, shredded
- 1 (30 ounces) can fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 (15 ounces) can sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1 (12 ounces) kaong
- 1 (12 ounces) nata de coco
- 1 cup Eden or Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (14 ounces) can table cream
- In a large bowl, combine young coconut, fruit cocktail, pineapple, corn, kaong, nata de coco, cheese, condensed milk and cream. Stir gently to distribute.
- Chill for a few hours or freeze until firm.