Java Rice is fried rice seasoned with turmeric and annatto powder is a great use for day-old rice! It's a colorful and flavorful side dish that pairs with grilled meat, chicken, or fish.
Servings: 4 Servings
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon annatto powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, break rice to separate grains.
In a wok or wide, heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat, combine butter and oil. Heat until butter is melted.
Add shallots, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring regularly until softened.
Add annatto powder and turmeric powder. Continue to cook, stirring regularly for about 30 seconds.
Add rice and gently toss to fully coat. Spread the rice on entire cooking surface of pan for about 45 seconds or until grains start to sizzle and then toss again to redistribute.
Add soy sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, tossing gently, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until rice grains are heated through and evenly colored. Serve hot.
- Use day-old cooked rice. Leaving the rice in the refrigerator for at least a day helps rid of excess moisture and allows the grains to firm up and separate easier.
- If using freshly cooked rice, spread on a baking sheet, and refrigerate to completely cool.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 280mg | Potassium: 151mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 553IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg