Pork Hamonado with pork belly braised in pineapple juice and soy sauce for the ultimate pork dish. Melt-in-your-mouth tender with a sweet and savory sauce, it's pure heaven on steamed rice!
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds pork belly (boneless or bone-in), cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup pineapple juice (reserved from can of pineapples)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
In a wide, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, heat oil until very hot but not smoking.
Add pork belly in a single layer and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until all sides are lightly browned. Do NOT overcrowd the pan, cook in batches as needed.
Remove meat from the pan and drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
In the pan, add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until softened.
Add pork back to the pan and stir to combine.
Add pineapple juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 2 to 4 minutes.
Add soy sauce, water, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Stir to distribute and bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top.
Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 50 to 60 minutes or until very tender and liquid is reduced.
Add brown sugar and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer until sauce is thickened.
Add pineapple chunks and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve hot.
- As the liquid in the can is used to braise the meat, choose pineapple chunks packed in juice and not heavy syrup which will make the sauce overly sweet.
- When the apple cider vinegar is added in, allow it to boil uncovered and without stirring to mellow out the acid taste.
Calories: 922kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 82g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1135mg | Potassium: 540mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 15.3mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1.8mg