No party is complete without Pork Menudo! Chock-full of tender pork, garbanzo beans, vegetables, and raisins in a thick tomato sauce, this classic Filipino stew is hearty, tasty, and will easily feed a large crowd.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon annatto seeds
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups water
- 3 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound beef liver, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (16 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained well
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add annatto seeds and cook, stirring regularly, until the oil is infused with color. With a slotted spoon, remove and discard seeds.
Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add pork and cook until lightly browned.
Add fish sauce and cook for about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and cook, mashing occasionally with the back of a spoon, until softened and release juices.
Add water and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 30 to 35 minutes or until pork is tender.
Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to simmer for around 4 to 5 minutes or until almost tender.
Add liver, bell peppers, garbanzo beans, and raisins. Stir to distribute.
Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes or until liver is cooked through and sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 165mg | Sodium: 575mg | Potassium: 1320mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 10935IU | Vitamin C: 50.4mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 7.9mg