Looking for the ultimate Summertime treat? Try Halo-halo! This Filipino-style shaved ice is layered with sweetened fruits, jellies, and milk and topped with ice cream and custard for a tasty and refreshing treat. Perfect way to cool down on a hot day!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup gulaman cubes or sago
- 1/2 cup sweetened beans (garbanzo, red mung, and/or white beans)
- 1/2 cup Nata de coco, drained well
- 1/2 cup Kaong, drained well
- 1/2 cup sweetened saba bananas
- 1/2 cup sweetened jackfruit strips
- 1/4 cup sweetened macapuno
- 1/2 cup ube halaya
- shaved ice
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup leche flan
- 4 scoops ice cream (mango, ube, or vanilla)
Prepare the gulaman according to package directions. Use less water than called for to yield a firmer texture.
Prepare the ingredients from scratch or use bottled halo-halo ingredients.
In a tall glass, add about a teaspoon each of desired add-ins to about 1/3 full.
Pack the glass with shaved ice.
Drizzle evaporated milk over the ice.
Top the ice with leche flan and scoop of ice cream.
Garnish with strips of macapuno and sprinkle with pinipig, if desired.
- When making gulaman, reduce the water called for in the packaging to yield firmer cubes that will hold up in the mix.
- As most ingredients are prepared in simple syrup, it's unnecessary to sweeten the dessert with additional sugar.
- For best results, use shaved and not crushed ice. Shaved ice has a fine texture that absorbs the milk well.
Calories: 532kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 281mg | Potassium: 761mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 597IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 373mg | Iron: 1mg