Sotanghon at Upo Soup
Sotanghon at Upo Soup is a healthy, delicious, and hearty that is made with sotanghon noodles, upo, and chicken. It is a simple everyday Filipino dish that would make you toasty warm during the cold season or those gloomy rainy days. It is very easy to prepare and economical too!
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 medium upo
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken thigh meat, diced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces sotanghon (cellophane noodles)
- fried garlic bits, optional
Cut and discard ends of upo. Using a peeler or a paring knife, peel skin. Cut the gourd lengthwise. If interior is "too spongy" and has mature seeds, remove spongy flesh using a spoon and discard. Slice gourd into 1 inch cubes.
In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and juices run clear.
Add fish sauce and cook for about 1 minute.
Add water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add upo and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until half-done.
Add sotanghon and push down into the broth.
Continue to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until noodles are translucent and upo is tender yet crisp.
Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with fried garlic bits, if desired. Serve hot.
- Cut the gourd into uniform size to ensure even cooking. For best texture, do not cover during cooking as the upo will expel a lot of liquid. Take off from the heat while still tender-crisp as it will continue to cook in the residual heat.
- There's no need the sotanghon as they cook rather quickly. Just add the dry coils and push them down in the hot broth to soften.
Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 408mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 81IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg