Filipino shrimp and vegetable fritters are crispy, tasty, and seriously addictive. Delicious as snack, appetizer, or side dish!
Servings: 12 Servings
- 1 medium green papaya, peeled, seeded and shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 small kalabasa, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- canola oil
- 1/2 pound small shrimps, tendrils trimmed
Spiced Vinegar Dip
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 to 3 Thai chili peppers, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, combine shredded papaya and about 1 tablespoon salt. Let sit for about 10 minutes and using hands, squeeze to dispel juices. Rinse under cold running water and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
In a large bowl, combine egg, cornstarch, flour, water, fish sauce, salt, and pepper. Whisk together until well-blended and smooth.
Add papaya, kalabasa, shallots and green onion to batter and stir to combine.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat about 2-inch of oil until hot.
On a large spoon, place about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the mixture and press 1 to 2 shrimps on top.
Gently slide mixture into the hot oil and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp. Cook in batches as necessary.
Remove from heat and drain on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Serve hot with spiced vinegar dip.
For the Spiced Vinegar Dip
In a bowl, combine vinegar, chili peppers, onions, and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For crispy results, make sure the oil is hot and enough to submerge patties during frying. Cook patties in batches and do not overcrowd the pan.
- To keep from falling apart, fry the fritters undisturbed for about 2 to 3 minutes until browned on the bottom, and then turn with the spatula to continue to cook until browned and crispy.
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 239mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 821IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1mg