Adobong Manok sa Patis
Chicken Adobo with fish sauce is easy to make yet full-on flavor. Savory and garlicky, it's perfect with steamed rice!
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (3 to 4 pounds) whole chicken, cut-up to serving pieces
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, crushed
- salt to taste
In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and juices run clear.
Add fish sauce and bring to a boil for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to coat the chicken.
Add vinegar and bring to a boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add water, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
Lower heat, cover and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and sauce is reduced. Season with salt to taste.
- Give the fish sauce a few minutes to boil before adding the vinegar to mellow the "fishy" taste.
- Allow the vinegar to boil, uncovered and without stirring, before adding the water to cook off the strong acidity
Calories: 416kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 1259mg | Potassium: 419mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 229IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg