Sizzling Tofu Sisig is creamy and spicy with tons of flavor and texture. It's a delicious vegetarian appetizer or main dish.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) firm tofu
- canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 small green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 3 finger chili peppers (siling haba)
- 2 Thai chili peppers
- 1/4 cup calamansi juice
- 1/4 cup Knorr seasoning sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
In a wide pan over medium heat about 2-inches deep of oil until hot but not smoking.
Add tofu in batches and cook, turning as needed, until golden and crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
In a skillet over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon butter. Add onions and garlic and cook until slightly softened.
Add bell peppers and chili peppers and cook, stirring regularly, until tender-crisp.
Add calamansi juice and seasoning sauce. Simmer until slightly reduced.
Add fried tofu cubes and mayonnaise and toss for about 1 minute or just until evenly coated and heated through.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and transfer to a sizzling plate. Garnish with chopped chili peppers and serve immediately.
- To pan-fry instead of deep-frying, add about 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl to fully coat the bottom of the pan. Heat until oil begins to shimmer but not smoking. Add tofu in a single layer and cook until it begins to crisp, then turn to brown other side. WAIT until tofu begins to brown before turning or they will stick to pan and fall apart. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 624mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 753IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 2mg