Bibingka Espesyal is the ultimate Christmas treat! Soft, spongy and made extra delicious with salted egg, cheese, and grated coconut topping, this classic Filipino delicacy is sure to be a holiday hit.
Servings: 8 Pieces
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 salted eggs, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 2 ounces cream cheese, sliced thinly (you can substitute kesong puti or queso de bola)
- margarine or butter, softened
- Sugar to taste
- Grated mature coconut
In a large bowl, combine rice flour, glutinous rice flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well-combined.
Add coconut milk, water, butter, and eggs. Stir until smooth and well-blended.
Cover the batter and refrigerate overnight.
Rinse banana leaves under warm water and wipe off any dirt or grit. Using scissors, trim any thick edges and cut into circles large enough to cover bottom and sides of the pan.
Quickly pass and heat banana leaves over stove flames for a few seconds or until just softened. Line the pans, making sure the leaves are intact with no rips.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans up to 3/4 full. Arrange sliced salted eggs and cream cheese slices on top.
Arrange the filled tin molds in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven on the lower rack. Bake in a 375 F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Transfer the baking sheet on the top rack and continue to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
Remove from heat. Spread margarine or butter and sprinkle sugar on top. Garnish with grated coconut. Serve hot.
- If you can't find banana leaves, you can line the tins with parchment paper.
- I use mamon tin molds which I bought in the Philippines, but large muffin tins or fluted pie pans will also work.
- You can cook the bibingka right away, but if you do have time, I suggest letting the batter chill for the best results. Note that it gets thicker the longer it sits.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 244mg | Potassium: 344mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 519IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 2mg