Ensaladang Talbos ng Kamote
Sweet potato leaves and tomato salad with a simple vinaigrette dressing. It's an easy-to-make, healthy, and delicious side dish that pairs well with your favorite grilled meat or fish.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time2 minutes mins
Total Time7 minutes mins
Course: Side Dish
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 bundle kamote leaves
- 1 large Roma tomato, diced
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Pick the leaves from the stems. Under cold, running water, wash and drain well.
Steam kamote leaves for about 1 to 2 minutes or just until wilted. Or, in a pot over medium heat, bring about 2 cups of water to a boil. Briefly dip leaves in the boiling water for about 10 to 20 seconds or just wilted.
Quickly plunge leaves in iced water for about 30 to 40 seconds or until cold. Drain well.
In a bowl, combine kamote leaves, tomatoes, and shallots.
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, fish sauce, oil, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle dressing over salad and gently toss to combine.
- Make the salad extra yummy by adding chopped salted eggs (itlog na maalat) for a touch of savory flavor.
- Toss in some chopped Thai chili peppers if you want a kick of spice.
- If storing for future meals, keep the vegetables and dressing in separate containers to maintain texture. You can also seed the tomatoes to prevent from watering down the salad.
Calories: 40kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5446IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg