Peppered Strawberry Jam
Make your breakfast extra delicious with Peppered Strawberry Jam! It's easy to make with only 5 ingredients and no pectin, and adds a delicious medley of sweetness and spice to your toast!
Servings: 32 Servings
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and diced
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
In a saucepan over low heat, combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
Cook, stirring regularly until sugar is completely dissolved.
Bring mixture to a hard boil for about 8 to 10 minutes.
To test for setting, place a small saucer in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Spoon a small amount of jam on the cold plate, leave for about 30 seconds, and use the index finger to push in the jam. If it wrinkles and does not flood back to fill in the gap, it's ready.
With a spoon, remove any scum that floats on top. Or add butter to dissolve the scum.
Remove from heat and add pepper. Stir to combine.
Allow jam to settle for about 15 minutes and then transfer into clean, sterilized jars, leaving about 1/4 inch headspace. Close the tight-fitting lid.
- Make sure food prep implements are thoroughly clean and storage jars are properly sterilized (read how to sterilize empty jars here) and with tight-fitting lids.
- To keep the sugar from crystallizing and the jam to become grainy, allow the sugar to dissolve before bringing the strawberry mixture to a boil completely.
- When the setting point is reached, skim off any scum that floats on top. Or add a knob of butter to dissolve the scum.
- To test for setting, place a small saucer in the freezer for a few minutes and spoon a little jam onto the cold saucer. Leave for 30 seconds and then push the jam's edges with your index finger; if the jam wrinkles and doesn't flood to fill the gap, it is ready.
- Remove jam from heat and allow to settle for about 15 minutes to prevent the fruit from rising to the top.
Calories: 56kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 21mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 13IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg