Try this Chicken Menudo for dinner tonight! Loaded with chicken, hot dogs, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers in a flavorful tomato gravy, this hearty stew is sure to be a family favorite!
Servings: 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into cubes
- 4 hot dogs, sliced thinly on a bias
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons raisins
In a wide pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 seconds or until tender yet crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Add hot dogs and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
In the pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.
Add soy sauce and cook for about 1 minute.
Add pineapple juice and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is tender and sauce is reduced.
Add potatoes, carrots, and raisins and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
Add bell peppers and hot dogs and cook until heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve hot.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 585mg | Potassium: 830mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3020IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 4.2mg