Mexican-style Braised beef and potatoes in tomatoes and spices for an easy weeknight dinner. This carne guisada is hearty, boldly flavored, and amazing with rice!
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 pounds chuck steak, sliced thinly
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups water or beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
In a dutch oven or wide skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add beef and cook until lightly browned.
Add tomatoes and cook, mashing with the back of a spoon, until softened and release juice.
Add water or broth. Bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top.
Add chili peppers.
Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 40 to 50 minutes or until beef is tender, adding more water in 1/2 cup increments as needed.
Add potatoes and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and sauce is reduced and thickened.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
- Cut the beef in thin, uniform slices to ensure fast and even cooking. Slice across the grain for a more tender chew.
- I prefer the taste of fresh tomatoes, but tomato sauce will work in a pinch.
Calories: 605kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 1365mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Vitamin C: 25.2mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 8.5mg